The Council’s Local Transport Plan 2000-2016 states that approximately 20% of all peak time traffic involves escort trips, primarily in transporting children to and from school. The Welsh Assembly Government through transport grant funding is targeting this type of travel to reduce traffic congestion around schools and to encourage children and parents to consider walking and cycling more for their own health. Cardiff Council is fully committed to improving safety on the school journey and is working in partnership with a number of schools, local communities and other agencies to progress this important issue.
Safer Routes to School (SRTS) in Cardiff
Apart from the obvious dangers that parents and children are exposed to in the form of high traffic volumes at peak ‘school-run’ times, according to Health Agencies there is a hidden danger linked to car exhaust fumes, which causes asthma.
- Reducing child pedestrian casualties
- Creating a safer environment around the school gate
- Creating a better local community
- Providing safer cycling routes and storage facilities
- Creating safer walking routes
- Taking the bus or car sharing
- Dropping off further away from the school
A number of schools have worked closely with Cardiff Council and the local community to undertake school travel surveys, develop School Travel Plans (STP) and identify perceived and actual hazards on the journey to and from school.
To date the following schools have been involved in SRTS projects and received Welsh Assembly Government grant funding:
- Llanrumney High School
- Coryton Primary School
- Cardiff West cluster group, comprising Howell’s School Llandaff, Cantonian High School, Bishop of Llandaff, Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Plasmawr and The Cathedral School
What can you expect to see in and around schools in Cardiff in the near future?
- School Safety Zones, where parental parking will be prohibited
- Greater police enforcement
- Cycle storage facilities
- On-road cycle training for school pupils
- New cycle lanes and footway improvements
- Safer pedestrian crossing facilities
- Designated school bus bays
- Traffic calming measures
Safer Routes to School is all about trying to make the journey to and from school safer for all and creating an environment where parents feel comfortable about allowing their children to either walk or cycle to school.
As a parent or guardian, by supporting SRTS in Cardiff, together we can make a real difference to the lives of parents and children involved on the ‘School-Run’.